When it comes to fire safety, one of the most important tools to have on hand is a fire blanket. Fire blankets are a type of personal protective equipment (PPE) that can be used to extinguish small fires or protect individuals from flames and smoke. In this article, we’ll cover everything you need to know about fire blankets, including their uses, types, and maintenance.
What is a fire blanket?
A fire blanket is a piece of fire-resistant material that can be used to smother small fires. They are typically made from woven fiberglass or wool and come in various sizes and shapes. Fire blankets can be used to extinguish fires on people, clothing, or small objects, and can also be used to provide a barrier between individuals and flames or smoke.
How does a fire blanket work?
Fire blankets work by cutting off the oxygen supply to a fire, which is necessary for combustion. When a fire blanket is placed over a small fire, it creates an airtight seal, depriving the fire of oxygen and smothering the flames. Fire blankets can also be used to wrap around a person on fire, smothering the flames and preventing further injury.
What are the different types of fire blankets?
There are several different types of fire blankets, each with its own specific use. The most common types of fire blankets are:
- Woven fiberglass fire blankets – These fire blankets are made from woven fiberglass and are ideal for use in industrial or commercial settings.
- Wool fire blankets – These fire blankets are made from wool and are often used in residential settings. They are soft and lightweight, making them easy to handle.
- Silicone-coated fire blankets – These fire blankets are coated with silicone, making them more resistant to heat and flames. They are often used in high-heat environments, such as welding or foundry work.
- Kevlar fire blankets – These fire blankets are made from Kevlar, a heat-resistant material often used in bulletproof vests. They are ideal for use in situations where there is a risk of explosions or flying debris.
- Vermiculite-treated fire blankets – These fire blankets are treated with vermiculite, a mineral that expands when exposed to heat. This creates a barrier that helps to prevent the spread of flames.
How do you use a fire blanket?
Using a fire blanket is relatively simple. To extinguish a small fire, follow these steps:
- Grab the fire blanket by its corners and hold it in front of you.
- Approach the fire slowly and carefully.
- Place the blanket over the fire, ensuring that it completely covers the flames.
- Leave the blanket in place for several minutes to ensure that the fire is completely extinguished.
- If the fire is larger than the fire blanket, evacuate the area immediately and call the fire department.
When using a fire blanket to wrap around a person on fire, follow these steps:
- Quickly wrap the person in the fire blanket, making sure that their entire body is covered.
- Instruct the person to roll on the ground to smother the flames.
- If the person is unable to move, wrap them in the fire blanket and call for medical assistance.
How do you maintain a fire blanket?
To ensure that your fire blanket is in good working condition, it’s important to perform regular maintenance. Here are a few tips:
- Store your fire blanket in a dry, cool place.
- Inspect your fire blanket regularly for signs of damage, such as holes, tears, or frayed edges.
- If your fire blanket becomes dirty, wash it in cold water and hang it up to dry.
- Replace your fire blanket if it becomes damaged or if it has been used to extinguish a fire.
In summary, fire blankets are an essential piece of PPE that can be used to extinguish small fires or protect individuals from flames and smoke. There are several different types of fire blankets, each with its own specific use. To use a fire blanket, simply place it over the flames or wrap it around a person on fire. Regular maintenance is important to ensure that your fire blanket is in good working condition.
If you’re in Dubai and looking for high-quality fire blankets, PPE ONLINE is a great resource. They offer a wide range of fire blankets made from various materials, including woven fiberglass, wool, and Kevlar. They also offer silicone-coated and vermiculite-treated fire blankets for use in high-heat environments. All their fire blankets are made from high-quality materials and are designed to provide reliable fire protection. When it comes to fire blankets, PPE ONLINE offers a variety of high-quality options, including the Gladious Fire blanket brand. Gladious fire blankets are made from woven fiberglass and are designed to be highly durable and long-lasting. They are ideal for use in industrial or commercial settings, where fires can pose a serious risk.
Gladious fire blankets are available in a variety of sizes, ranging from small1.2 Metres x 1.2 Metres (4 feets X 4 feets), 1.2 Metres x 1.8 Metres (4 feets X 6 feets) to 1.8 Metres x 1.8 Metres (6 feets X 6 feets) larger blankets. They are also available in different packaging options, including plastic bags or hard cases, making them easy to store and transport.
In addition to fire blankets, PPE ONLINE also offers a wide range of other PPE products, including safety goggles, respirators, and gloves. PPE ONLINE is committed to providing customers with the highest quality products at a competitive price.
Check Out Our Most Selling Products